JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a Murray 11 36 inch deck I bumped the deck while

Customer Question

I have a Murray 11 36 inch deck I bumped the deck while mowing and knocked it off I had to remove it completely to find what broke it appeared just bolts where missing so I replaced them and re-attached the deck. In the process I had to remove the deck belt to remove the deck. In my attempt to reinstall the deck belt I noticed 3 pulleys on the deck and 1 on the tractor so I figured I'd just wrap the belt around all 3 pulleys on the deck the only way I can see then the 1 on the tractor when I started it up and turned the lever to cut grass only the pulley on the tractor turned but the belt seemed too big and wasn't gripping the pulleys on the deck where either I put it on wrong or the belt stretched and I don't have an owners manual for it nor do I know what year the mower is and I can't seem to figure out how the deck belt is supposed to go on properly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

What is the model from under the seat of machine?

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

belts routing pic.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jon when you say the model number is ***** the seat do you mean on a silver rectangular shape between the seat and the hitch?
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
Could be yes, or lift seat up and check there. Older ones were in plate above hitch point
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could this be the model number###-##-#### this is the number I got in plate above hitch point but I had trouble making out the number.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Is your mower a front or rear engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Front engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

did you get diagram? Without full model this is the closest I was able to locate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did get the diagram. I got the belt back on but appears loose, but I got 3/4 of my lawn cut before the belt fell back off. I also for got to mention another problem I have with my lawn mower. I can't start it up by turning the key, it wont turn over I have to use a screw driver to by-pass the solenoid. I do make sure I disengage the deck before shutting off the engine, I learned when I first got the lawn mower that if I shut it off with the deck engaged it wont turn over when trying to restart it so I don't know what else could possibly be causing this problem
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

This could be a solenoid issue and it needs replaced. Could be many issues. I first would replace the solenoid as it is only about a $14 part. If you still cannot start it, we can start looking at safety switches and testing them all. First would be the seat safety switch. You will need a volt meter to test it for continuity.