JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a KAI 19.0, FH580V engine with over 500 hours on it.

Customer Question

I have a KAI 19.0, FH580V engine with over 500 hours on it. The battery stopped charging. I have it disassembled and the charging coil removed. It appears to have an open circuit with no continuity. I plan on replacing it. My question is with the oil I find all over the engine. I know it has over heated in the past and now burns a bit of oil but thought I could replace the top seal while I had it apart, just in case it was leaking from there. My question is: can this seal be replace externally or does the case need to be cracked and replaced from the inside (which I would not do at this time)?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I don't recall, perhaps 7 or 8 years old. I have not had a problem in the past. I cleaned the engine off. Previously, in the last year, I cleaned the fins well but did not extensively clean the grime build up as thoroughly as right now, with more access to engine.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am cheap, yes, do it myself. I would be willing to pry the top seal out, but did not know if it was done from outside the engine or from inside the engine. I can keep going with seals not replaced but do not have the time this season to completely take the engine out and dismantle. I am mostly fearless when tackling mechanical things.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, that is probably about it. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

You can change it out just like a bottom seal. pry out and insert new seal. no need to pull engine apart