Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

EZ Go golf cart electric 36v won't go. I last drove it 2

Customer Question

EZ Go golf cart electric 36v won't go. I last drove it 2 nights ago, parked it. Today it won't move.All terminals read 38v. both the A1 and B1, the two nodes on the solenoid, everything reads 38v. When I press the accelerator there is a "straining" noise, as if the thing is trying to do something. Is my controller bad?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Will the cart roll, showing the brakes are not locked?

If you raise the rear of the cart with both wheels of the ground, and turn one manually, does the other wheel turn in opposite direction? It should if axles and differential are ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not locked
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All the connections are good, I pulled them all and shined them up. I didn't mess with the controller or solenoid. But i checked the voltage there and all the posts show the same voltage save the negative post

Have you jacked it up to check the axles?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all wheels turn freely. You can roll the whole cart back and forth easily. The rear wheels turn opposite of each other. This is not a stuck brake issue.I cleaned the terminals of everything. All terminals exhibit the same voltage (except the negative terminal). When the accelerator is depressed, the solenoid clicks and a "straining" sound is heard. It is like a bad connection but I've checked and all connections are clean and tight.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
None of the wires gets hot. None of the connections is hot. All batteries are fully charged and working normally. The same results in forward and reverse.

Noise is at controller and not drive motor? Drive motor coupler not stripped and motor is running, but not driving transmission?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is an electric cart. There is no transmission. There is a battery, key switch, accelerator, controller, and motor. Nothing is stripped and it was running when parked 2 days ago. I use this cart to patrol the estuary and watch for bears. I need to be sure it is in operating condition.

Call it what you want, but Ezgo has a coupler between the drive motor and the transaxle.

Call it what you want, but Ezgo has a coupler between the drive motor and the transaxle

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. The A1 and B1 come out of the controller, go to the solenoid, then run directly to terminals on the motor housing. There are two smaller wires, the A2 and B2 that attach near the heavier gauge wires. I don't see any intervening device.

What is year model and controller number? A1 and A2 are the armature wires, and the B1 and B2 are the field wires .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just had the controller rebuilt in NC in June. It's a 97 EZ go
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The label says Curtis PMC
P/N 73144G03
S/N 15523

If the controller is powering up, problem is usually at the drive motor, and drive motor coupler is suspect!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could you describe the position of the DMC? Is it on the starter or near the controller?

DMC?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
drive motor coupler

Drive motor coupler is on the drive end of the drive motor!

Last image is the coupler.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it resides inside the motor housing? How does it fail? Is it mechanical or electric?

It is a mechanical coupler that splines to the transaxle, it fails when it strips out the spline on motor or transaxle end.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wouldn't that demonstrate a weakness prior to failing? This cart worked fine 2 nights ago, but won't go at all today after being parked 2 days. Is that a mechanical symptom?

With the controller making noise, as it powers up, I'm thinking that it may be motor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Thanks for your assistance. That's all the time I have for today.

OK< here is an Ezgo site with basic trouble shooting and it has drive motor test too, just scroll down the opening page past the manuals until you find the troubleshooting section.

Thanks

I see question is still open, did you find problem?