Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

Onan Model 7.5 HDKAJ 11451K Status Indicator Light Dead; F1

Customer Question

Onan Model 7.5 HDKAJ 11451K Status Indicator Light Dead; F1 fuse good, power in/out; No voltage at P1-8 and no ground at P1-7
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

First, when you say power in/out, how much power, and where are you checking it at?

Have you tested all 3 fuses?

Do you have power into the fuse at F1?

When you were testing P1-7 and P1-8, please tell me exactly how you were testing, and what you were testing with.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the reply. I had 12.8 volts coming into the unit. All 3 fuses were good. Voltage at the starter solenoid and leaving it was 12.9 volts. I used a test light at P1-7 and P1-8 by switching the clamp end from power to ground. The two most aggravating problems I encountered were the illegible wiring diagram in the electronic Cummings factory service manual and the lack of circuit identification on P1/J1 and P2/J2 engine wiring harnesses. Late this afternoon I began to pull the P1-8 wire from the bundle/loom. It went to the F1 fuse. I had power on both sides of the fuse but not at the P1-8 terminal. So I performed a routine pull-wiggle-twist test with the test light inserted into the P1-8 terminal and got an intermittent light. I then went back the fuse holder and cut the wire on both sides of the F1 fuse, then jumped them, and restored power to at the P1-8 terminal. Now the Status light, fuel pump, glow plugs, and starter all get power the engine will crank and start. So you can close the file unless you can fill the $1800 hole in my wallet. Thanks for the reply, Milton
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Glad you got it going.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Me too....normally I don't get stumped by something like this. In 28 years as an auto tech, I installed 2 new water pumps on 350 Chevy engines that did not have impellers, TRW and Aztec and can't begin to tell how many "I ain't never seen that before during my 15 years as a Cadillac Master Tech. I learned to keep it simple and focus on power and ground.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.