Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 2004 Deere Gator HPX, gas model which is over

Customer Question

Good morning Kevin, I have a 2004 John Deere Gator HPX, gas model which is over heating. It is losing coolant and I don't see any leaks. The temperature sensor on the radiator wasn't working, so I Bypassed it and put it on a switch so the fan would blow continuously, but it is still losing coolant and gets hot. Any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I am in a wheelchair, fell and broke my back almost 20 years ago, so I am limited as to what I can do, but have had many hospitalization the last couple of years. The Gator has not been charging for many years. It does not have an alternator, I believe it has a stator. I have been charging a deep cycle large capacity battery and running it off of the battery. If you charge the battery connecting positive and negative directly to the battery, you burn up the ignition module. I was in the hospital 2 years ago and my brother and wife were using the Gator and I believe they burned up the ignition module, I just ordered another,this is the third one. So to answer your question, the over heating started about 30 months ago and the Gator has been sitting, not running for a little over 2 years. I disconnected the fuel line, used the fuel pump to pump out the old gas, put in new gas and tried to start, but no luck. So right now I am actually dealing with 3 issues. First, I ordered the ignition module which will be here today, second, it won't charge, and last, it is over heating
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I have fuel in the tank, but it is about a year old, so once again I am going to pump it out and put in new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I will do what I can. If it gets too difficult, I will have to get help.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, the hydraulic lift bed isn't working either.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, do you still want help? Rapid overheat can be many things, but I would remove the thermostat, and fill the housing with fluid and spin engine to see if the coolant pours out, which would show that water pump is good. If coolant is circulating, then leave the thermostat out, and test run to see if ti still heats up, if it does, you likely have a leaking head gasket, letting compression into the coolant, assuming that the radiator and fan are working. The engine does have stator(alternator) mounted under the flywheel and can be checked with a voltmeter. Output from the stator, with the regulator unplugged has to be at least 28 volts AC. The bed lift is an electric motor running a pump, so you have to have good voltage before the motor will lift the bed.