Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a, Mdl CH22 with a kholer eng. The problem started

Customer Question

I have a scag, Mdl CH22 with a kholer eng. The problem started when the eng would not shut off with the switch or any of the safety switches. Then it got to were I had to work the key back and forth to start. I replaced the switch, and now it want start at all. No movement of the amp gauge, fuses are good, battery good, wire connections seem good?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

What is the part number of the switch purchased for replacement? Sounds like the switch is the wrong one if it started before with switch, but is not starting now

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a 6 pole key switch #48798, it appears the same. Purchased from a Scag dealer.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Main thing to look for is that all the letters on the poles match on both as this is what makes everything work properly. That is the correct part numberfor your model machine. Can you jump the solenoid and start it? Can you shut it off with the key switch if so?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm at work right now, l'll have to check the letters and jump the solenoid when I get home. I'll get back with you.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

okay, let me know and we can troubleshoot from there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Switch matches, I can jump the solenoid, but the switch want shut it off.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Okay, I would clean the harness plug very well and retry. If still no good, check the PTO and everything else on mower to make sure what will work and what will not work. Once you jump mower off by solenoid, can you engage blades, move machine forward and reverse? It is most likely an issue with a loose ground wire somewhere, but wiring issues can be tricky to track down, so will possibly need to take many steps to find the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Once the lawnmower is running, blades work, all functions are normal, except safety switches (nothing will shut the mower down), I just got finished mowing the yard. Had to choke it to shut it down.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Check that the ground wire is connected properly from the ignition switch as if it will not shut down the engine, it is normally due to a bad ground wire