Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a troy bilt pony mower. It was working fine and all

Customer Question

I have a troy bilt pony mower. It was working fine and all of the sudden it wont turn over. The solenoid wont even make a click. I replaced the ignition switch with the correct factory part and the solenoid which is a real pain on this mower. The batter is fully charged and the brake pedal interlock mower pto interlock have been replaced. the fuse has also been replaced. Nothing changed. I have gone over every wire on the mower looking for a short to ground. Nothing. Checked the reverse blade disengagement and bypassed it. Nothing. The seat switch which is open on this mower is working. You can take a piece of wire and run it straight from the battery post to the starter and it spins like a new washing machine. I have never seen a mower where one of the above didn't fix it. Any ideal?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

IS this electric PTO or manual?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
manual
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

Seems like you have done it all to test all safety switches, can the solenoid be jumped and it start right up?

Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

Once mower is running by powering starter manually, can it be used? Blades engage? Mower moves? without shutting down

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is the weird part. After all else failed I though I will jump the solenoid and get it to start. Nope. It arcs and the starter clicks but doesn't start which made me think bad connection on the chassis ground or bad connection on the starter. Both are making up and well connected so I rechecked the connections on the solenoid. Also good.
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

can you put power directly to starter and start engine? The issue is going to be between the solenoid and starter, normally a loose connection, but since you have checked them all. I would test the voltage at the starter once you try to jump the solenoid. See if the starter is getting the proper voltage to it. Could have a burnt wire inside the casing, and you would never see it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Checked that as well. 12.5 Volts under load and no shorts on the primary from the solenoid to the starter. Now you see why I am stumped. LOL I have had two years of small engine training and this is on my own mower.
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

I hear you. I hate working on my own things. I would say the starter is the problem when put under a load. I would attempt to put power directly to the starter pole for testing while on machine. If it starts engine, its fine, if not, issue is the starter under a load

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should add that you can pull the solenoid and energize the coil and it will pull in. I took a piece of #6 primary wire and ran it directly from the battery to the hot post on the starter. It will spin the engine freely but never hits a lick. I got my brother in law who also is well versed in small engines to hold the interlock switches in and I turned the key to the on position. We pulled the batter out so we could access the solenoid. We took our jumper and tried it first directly to the batter post. Starter spun just like it was supposed to. Then to the solenoid. Zilch. I thought we found the problem. Soooo Assuming the new solenoid was bad since the connections all check out we repeated this and crossed out the posts on the solenoid just like you start and old dodge with a worn ignition switch. Nope. Same thing. Some way the coil on the solenoid and the wire going to the ignition are not doing their job but the all will ohm out. The power coming back from the fuse to the switch is there. I know its impossible but this is exactly what is happening. I have never run into one like this. To make a long story short you can bypass every safety on it and hook a wire directly from the solenoid to the starter and it still wont hit a lick. Wont turn over. Its haunted.
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

yes it is. A new one on me. I will OPT out and maybe someone will have an idea that you have not tried, but it a freaky one for sure. Do not reply as it will lock the question back to me and no one else will see it to answer. GoodLuck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** would like to work with you, to see if you and I can get this problem figured out together.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I am assuming that you have a multimeter, due to the fact you mentioned checking your voltage under load. With your multimeter, I believe we can find the source of our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Remove the wiring connector from your ignition switch, then check for voltage on the red wire in your connector. Keep in mind, that the small red wire, with fuse, goes from your solenoid post, directly into the connector for your ignition switch. If you are not getting 12 volts at your connector, then you may have a bad fuse holder.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sir getting 12V at the connector. Already checked that.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. Let's check to see if your ignition switch is closing your start circuit, after you turn your key to start position.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

There is an Orange Wire in your ignition switch connector. This is the wire that energizes your solenoid. Remove the connector from your ignition switch. Run a jumper wire from the Red Wire in your connector, to the Orange Wire in your connector.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Make sure your pto is off, and your brake/clutch pedal is fully depressed. Let's see what happens.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Also, double check to make sure your solenoid is getting a good ground, and your green wire is grounded on one of the screws that secures your solenoid to your frame.