Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

We have a simplicity lancer 4416XL. it starts well but after

Customer Question

we have a simplicity lancer 4416XL. it starts well but after cutting for a few minutes it refuses to go up the slightest slope and if going down a slight slope does not break itself
- any sggestions
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

If you are still in need of assistance, I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Let's begin by checking your transmission drive belt. If your drive belt is slightly loose, or worn, it can slip, and cause the problem you are describing. If your belt is ok, we can go to the next step. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thought it might be the drive belt so purchased a new one - no difference
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Double check, to see if your drive belt is fully tight, when your brake/clutch pedal is fully released. Have you noticed any oil leaks on your transmission? Make sure that your bypass rod is pushed all the way in. I am referring to the rod you pull out, in order to push or roll your mower, when your engine is not running.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Is there a build up of dirt or debris on top of your transmission? If so, this can prevent the bypass lever on your transmission from moving fully in and out of bypass/roll position. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have checked the new belt and it is very tight, also no debris on the transmission. when the machine starts to find it difficult to go uphill or goes too fast downhill there is a grinding noise
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

How old is your mower?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we have had it 5 years - bought it from a showroom where it was a display model so not quite sure what year it was made.
Also my husband said occasionally he has notice a small drip of oil from under the engine, thanks for your time donald - we greatly appreciate it. my husband says he has been looking for the place to check the hydraulic fluid that works the clutch but not sure where that is,
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this information.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

There is an oil fill port on your transmission, but it is hard to access, unless you remove your transmission from your mower.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Unless you have noticed a leak, your hydraulic oil level is probably ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do you suggest we do next
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

If your transmission have trapped air inside, this can affect the performance of your transmission. To remove the air, if present, you will need to purge your transmission.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Take a look at the information in the link below. It explains how to purge your transmission.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Before beginning the purging procedure, you will need to have both rear wheels off the ground.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Based upon what we have covered thus far, I am lead to believe that you have internal transmission issues, if the purging procedure does not help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Donald, will get back to you in a couple of days when we have tried this proceedure, regards ***** *****
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.