K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a Poulan Pro riding tractor/mower with a hydrostatic

Customer Question

I have a Poulan Pro riding tractor/mower with a hydrostatic transmission, model #PB185A42. I am noticing a grease discharge from the right rear axle. There is a splatter pattern of grease on the inside of the wheel/tire. I have about 60 hrs on the ten month old machine. What should I make of this?Is it normal or is there a seal leak? Thank you, Gerald
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is a sealed unit from the factory, however they can leak at the axle seal. I would keep an eye on it and see if it continues, it may have been overlubed at the factory. If the elak persists you'll have to have the transaxle serviced by a dealer. The picture below shows the area to check for leaks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome, thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did read your response yesterday and it was helpful. The problem I have is that I live in Panama and they do sell the machine here at lumber yards and hardware stores but as far as a dealer goes they are very unhelpful. The nearest one is a***** It is pretty much a do it yourself country. I will keep an eye on it and hope that I don't have to get into the transaxle. Thanks, Gerald

You're welcome