Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications

I need to replace my starter on my 16 hp, it keeps shreding

Customer Question

I need to replace my starter on my 16 hp , it keeps shreding the nylon gear will not turn my engine over. itis a 16hp vanguard model(###) ###-####01. can I get a stronger starter for this engine?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I'm going to check to see if you can get a starter with a steel gear instead of the nylon

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when and where will I get my answer?

They have one with the steel gear I'm looking into what has to be changed

This one looks like it could work but I'm trying to make sure

It does say it fits your model and type in the drop down menu. Is your engine just stripping the pinion gear ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The starter isn't realy engaging all the way it seems like. It is the hardest starter to replace because of the blind holes.You Haven't help me much as all . I never had this problem before. Its seems like your company is more into advertising than find me an answer to my problem. I am very displeased with what I get for my money? It took me forever to find your answer with all the marketing going on. Its all abut money ,no room for a solution.I have not been helpand I will probably not be back.

HAve you pulled the fly wheel before , you should get a email when I reply . I'm sorry you are unhappy with the help you have received but I'm trying to help you find a solution.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I rebuilt the motor and examine everthing carefully. Your advice was not helpful. I will figure it out myself!

If your stripping the nylon gear the starter is either not lined up correctly or it could be a compression issue where it's having a harder time starting the engine and stripping the gear over time