Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

How to adjust the forward/reverse clutch on ariens

Customer Question

how to adjust the forward/reverse clutch on ariens mod.936023 lawn tractor year 2000
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Drive is with a belt from engine to the transmission, is the belt tight? Has belt ever been replaced? There is no adjustment on the belt, it has a spring tensioner that should keep it tight. I suggest trying a new drive belt. See the link above.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Reading in the owners manual under trouble shooting it says that if tractor will not move and all else is ok then the forward /reverse clutch needs adjustment.
I also agree with you about replacing the drive belt as it seems to be very loose and also old.
I will first replace belt.
BUT I wonder if the drive or "forword/reverse" clutch is adjustable?Thanks very much for your imput.

There is nothing but a basic linkage adjustment , as there is no clutch, other than the pedal you push! The (clutch) is the belt!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much.
I am now convinced that the belt is the problem.

I think that will do it!