Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a two year old GX670 in with less than 20 hours

Customer Question

I have a two year old GX670 in wood chipper with less than 20 hours running time, started ok this spring although I had to pour fuel in carb for initial start with all subsequent starts being normal. Now in late August it will not start even priming with fuel into the carb, this allows it to run until the prime fuel is consumed but won't stay running. Iv'e checked clear filter and fuel lines full tank of gas approx 20 gal., Iv'e tried another fuel pump although I have not been able to find a proper replacement from Honda dealer because part number has been superseded by a pump that won't fit under the carb air-filter deck. with a new pump hooked up there is no change in starting. ( this engines fuel pump had a pump with 4 ports and replacement has only 3 ports with the in sticking straight up into the air-filter deck)
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes ful tank and even taking a supply of fuel in a bottle held above the fuel pump.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have so far and have not had any real new ideas from the Honda dealer.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When I try and sense if there is any energy on the pulse line with out instruments «I can not feel any pulse action
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Does the carburetor have the electric solenoid in it? If it does, the solenoid plugs the main jet if it does not open. has to have 12 volts to stay open.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If no solenoid, then the needle valve and float are not letting fuel into the carburetor. Have you removed the carburetor and cleaned it thoroughly?