Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Kawasaki fc540v that has no spark when rotating in

Customer Question

I have a Kawasaki fc540v that has no spark when rotating in correct direction, flip coil over or flywheel spin backwards and has beautiful spark
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 3 weeks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: are you a computer?
JA: No. I'm the Small Engine Technician's Assistant.
Customer: im a mechanic by trade, so doing myself is prefered
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ive replaced flywheel, coil 2 times
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its a fc540v-ks00, e/n fc40va87971, family id ska535u1g2ra, mfg date 0398. it's on a john deere gt262 from '98. bought used. started fine cold and ran all day until shut off. didn't matter if 10 min or 10 hours. once started and shutoff, wouldn't start till 5 hrs or so later. replaced coil with apparent wrong one(kawi#21121-2086) still no luck. removed cover from magnet on flywheel and found magnet cracked. maybe problem? replaced flywheel with another one. still no luck. figured out coil was wrong for this engine. ordered new coil from john deere(am121810, kawi#21121-2085) still no fire. now mower wont start with everything correctly installed.during all these test's, the black kill wire was unhooked to eliminate any safety device. im stumped.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

So will engine start now when cold? Or no spark? With the correct coil, and a good flywheel magnet , you should have spark! If it does have spark, and it just will not start hot, then it is time to check the valve clearance. .006 inch is what it needs. but zero will not work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will not start. No spark. Unless coil flipped over, (correct coil lead will not fit, so I use the 2086 and replaced the lead with a longer one ) but when it gets warm it starts breaking down.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Same symptom as valves being too tight, engine will start missing and and if killed will not run again until it cools off. So you are sure it is loosing the spark? if so, the new coil is bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand the valves being tight, and I'm going to recheck them, but I still have no spark no matter what. Unless I flip the coil backwards or flywheel spins backwards.
Nothing at all now. Even replaced key on flywheel just incase was bent
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Coil should not change, so if it has spark cold, it should have spark hot. If not ,coil is no good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You have misunderstood me. Since I have started changing things, I have no spark at all. Now I can't get it to run at all unless the coil is flipped backwards. No matter what I try, it seems as though I keep going backwards 2 steps for every 1 step forward.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

2085 is what coil is shown from Deere, Will it mount in either direction? Was the replacement flywheel exactly same as the old one?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

can you get any spark now with the 2086 coil?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2085 is the correct one. It's $105 and yes it mounts either way. Lead will only fit if mounted correctly though. Flywheel was exact same. Even same batch numbers. All numbers matched, even balancing cutouts were same. I used the new 2086 I have (only $60) and took lead off, replaced with longer and mounted backwards. That will produce strong spark (knocked me off tractor unexpectedly. Lol) but only if mounted upside down. I don't want to ruin new coil by removing lead. It's sealed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I purchased 2086 first. Found out it was wrong, and got one from deere(2085)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Install the 2085, and if it produces spark when upside down, mount it that way. Make up a short lead that will aitch to the coil wire and make it to the spark plug, and see if it will run. This engine is made just after Kawasaki stopped using the one wire igniter/spark advance and it's easy to get wrong parts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to make it work correctly, not backwards. Backwards means something is not correct. That's what I'm trying to fix.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

There is no backwards! If the coil will produce spark in one mounting position, then that is where it should be mounted. You are fighting a battle that is not winable! The pickup insdie the coil has to be at just the right position, to mate the magnet, if mounting it in the (right) position, does not work, but flipping it will , go with it!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is not solving anything. The coil is designed to mount a certain way. Hence the lead being short. If it were suppose to be mounted either way the lead would be longer. Also why won't it produce spark when mounted correctly? That's what I asked the "experts" for. So you have done nothing more than take my money and tell me to do what I have done already. Thanks for nothing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If the coil will not spark when (mounted correctly) the inside pickup is not correct. Either the coil is the wrong one, or the flywheel magnet is in the wrong position. The two have to be on the same plain to produce the spark. There are not. I will opt out, and see if maybe someone else will try to help. Don't respond to me, or it will lock the question, Have a nice day.