Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 7.5 Kw Onan generator in my RV. The generator seems

Customer Question

i have a 7.5 Kw Onan generator in my RV. The generator seems fine however my RV control panel (which says Onan) is consistently giving me a charger fault signal. "battery overcharging". This may be a stupid quesstion but is my inverter?charger under the deck an Onan? Is the charger section shot. Can this be fixed or do I need a new one. At present, I am not physically capable of crawling into the 2'x2' hole to get to it conveniently located half-way under the deck.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back but I'm 20 miles from a location where I can connect to a Wi-Fi. Here we go: Onan Generator Model # 7.5HDKAJ-1045H (Spec.H) / S/N: B040605371 Options: B402-1, A223-1,K020-1, P040-1 (maybe N086-2 also but not sure. The stamped information is unclear)
The monitoring/control panel says: Onan Equinox inverter/charger. As I stated before at this point in time I can not physically get to the inverter/charger in a small space under the deck in the middle of the storage space. The generator seems to be working fine with the exception of not charging either the Starting Batteries or the House Batteries. The fault signal seems to be generated only when I'm running the RV Cummings Diesel engine. At this juncture I have eventually fried 4 Starting Batteries. I'm about to install Batteries No's 5 & 6 because I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere Colorado.
My eventual answer needs to include whether the existing charger section of the present inverter/charger can be (should be) repaired or that I need to get a new one.
I will be looking up information on Onan Equinox inverter/chargers while I wait for an answer from you on the big picture here.