Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I've notice my battery has slowly been draining (replaced

Customer Question

I've notice my battery has slowly been draining (replaced 4/16). To the point where I recharged it and it continues. I'm wondering if the strator has gone bad, that it's not keeping up with enough current to engage the PTO.
I also noticed that when cranked up and running I go engage the PTO or handles to start moving the mower it shuts down.
How can I check strator with out a volt meter ?
Suggestions ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

You have to have a voltmeter to check the stator and voltage regulator. A cheap digital voltmeter is less that $10 at retail store or auto supply, and less at Harbor /freight. With voltmeter you test the stator , output , without it hooked to the regulator, Meter on AC volts, and r=engine at least 1/2 throttle, reading needs to be above 28 volts AC. If it is , stator is ok. And plugged back to regulator should have at least 14 volts DC from the regulator to charge the battery,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
So I unplug the three wire prong and test the prong out put @ half throttle.
I gather with the out put not at 26 + the PTO and other safety switches will not operate correctly.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The AV voltage from stator has to be at least 28 volts AC, as the volts is dropped in half, when it is changed by the voltage regulator/rectifier which 28 becomes 14 volts DC.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Without at least 12 volts, the blade clutch drops out and the fuel solenoid in the carburetor will kill the engine.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question still open, did stator check good?