Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

When I pull the starter rope, it retracts all the way out on

Customer Question

When I pull the starter rope, it retracts all the way out on no longer "catches" to all the engine to be started.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Jeff, it will be best if you replace your rope recoil assembly.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Part #6 in both diagrams are your starter dogs. Your starter dogs are either sticking, or broken. After you remove your rewind housing from your engine, compare it to each of the diagrams above, to determine your correct part numbers.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

You can find inexpensive complete rope rewind assemblies on eBay. You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Donald. I cannot tell which is correct, no part number on the old housing. One costs $11.82 and the other costs $48.49. I assume I need to but #11 for either?
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome! I am back with you. You are correct about #11. After you remove your assembly, can you take a picture of it. With a picture, I can identify the correct one for you.