Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Deere STX 38 Hydro lawn mower, with a bad connector

Customer Question

I have a John Deere STX 38 Hydro lawn mower, with a bad connector for the PTO clutch which operates the mower deck. The connector unplugged while mowing , I pushed it back in, possibly backwards, it mowed about 10 feet not to work again. I tested the PTO with another 12 volt power, noticing the ground wire must be on the right side of the unit,where a bump is on the casting above. the unit tested OK only with that polarity. The PTO switch was replaced even though it tested the same as a new one. Wires had continuity from switch to PTO connector, and thru the PTO, but I couldn't find a way to get a voltage thru. I reassembled everything with the longest wire going to the ground position of the PTO connector, started the machine and action or click of the PTO. I do need a ned anew connector but nobody has one, only a shell of a connector. How can you help me get it mowing? Ken
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started the machine and NO ACTION or click of th PTO
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Deere harness. link above.???

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

after market above.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

But you should be able to get the magnet to click by taking jumper wires direct from battery to the pto clutch. If the magnet does not click closed. The clutch is no good!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
disconnected wire from damaged PTO plug. works OK
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Good job! Please use the 5 star rating system to close and get me credit/ Thank you.