Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I was putting a light on the mower, Ido not have hood on it

Customer Question

I was putting a light on the mower, Ido not have hood on it and I want a light. I put a relay on the side of motor something sparked .Now I have no power to ignition switch.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: John Deere LT 133, Maybee 8 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

The power for your ignition switch, comes directly from your battery, via a wire with an inline fuse. Your fuse is likely blown.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Check your fuse first. You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can't find the inline fuse. I do see series od6 circuit breakers.Would it be of them?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. Did you see your starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I am back with you. Sorry for the delay. Your fuse should be inline, on a small wire that attaches to one of the large post on your solenoid. Your small wire will be attached along with a large red cable. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have taken the battery out to get a better view. I see the small wire coming from the solenoid that is going to the positive side of the battery. It is attached to two wires, one going to the switch and the other going to a rectangular thing on the side of the motor that has 4 wires coming from it . that is what I had taken a screw out of it to connect the relay.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for checking. You did not see a fuse on that wire?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have traced every wire I could see and their is no fuse.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I am back with you. Thanks for your patience. I do apologize for the delay in responding to you. I have been trying to find a wiring schematic for your mower. I have not located one. If you have either a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter, I believe we can work without a wiring schematic.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have tried everything I can think of. I did get started by jumping the solenoid but when I let off the break it dies. And also If I try to engadge the blades.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I am back with you. I found a wiring schematic.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Rather than a fuse, you have a Fusible Link. Your fusible link is inline, on a small wire that is attached to your starter solenoid, along with the large red cable, that comes from your battery. Your fusible link have one wire on the end that attaches to your solenoid, and there are two wires coming from the opposite end of your fusible link.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

As you mentioned, you saw two wires coming from a single wire, and one of the wires are going to your ignition switch, and the other one is going to a rectangular shaped thing on the side of your motor. The rectangular shaped part is your voltage regulator. Actually the two wires are leading from your fusible link.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

So, to locate your fusible link, look in the area where the two wires, meet the single wire.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Your fusible will need to be replaced. You and I can continue from here.