Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I was trying to unscrew the screws that hold the brushes in

Customer Question

I was trying to unscrew the screws that hold the brushes in my onan 7000 . i could not brake the bolts loose . I taped the head of screw and broke the mount off that the screw threads into I am trying to get the bell housing off the rear of the engine so i can weld the mount back on.. I am having a well of a time .Any sugestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I removed the generator from a motor home .I think it was about a 95 model..The motor home was wrecked. I connected the gen to my house during katrina storm for 28 days . It was working good at that time .The engine runs good but no power . I was going to clean the brushes when i broke it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I should be able to handle the job if i can get the shell off the gen. I am 81 years old and cant do what i used to do. HAHA
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

You need to use a wheel puller to get the stator housing off.

But it is cast aluminum - you can not weld it.

If you are REALLY good, you might be able to TIG it, but you are most likely going to end up having to replace the stator housing.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?