JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I took my 700 Kawasaki Prairie ATV to the dealer to have the

Customer Question

I took my 700 Kawasaki Prairie ATV to the dealer to have the carburetors clean/flushed and also had a kit put in both carburetors. After completion, they did a test drive...it worked find during the 1st test drive then it started staling, shooting black smoke, and wouldn't go more than 5 miles an hour. They want to now do a diagnostic to determine if there is an electrical problem...i.e. stator, wiring, etc. What should I do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I would not suspect any of these currently as if they redone the carbs, and it worked fine, but now is showing same symptoms as before, then they need to revisit the carbs. Sounds like they are trying to get out of fixing their mess up someplace.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only thing it was doing was staling like it couldn't take the gas but now they are talking about black smoke...big concern...
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Black smoke is a rich running mix and sounds like the carb(s) need to be adjusted to correct the issue. When your air/fuel ratio gets off, it will puff black smoke and burn rich, if it is too rich, it will start to flood out and stall. It could be caused by a bad coil, not sparking as much as needed, but being as they just went though the carb(s), why was that not checked to begin with. If it is still doing the same thing it done when it went in, you have now paid for a service that didnt correct anything, and now they are wanting to do new things to try and fix it. Are they charging you for the new tests? If so, I would say no, they should go back and check the carb(s) and adjustments, but it could be a coil issue, just odd that a carb rebuild fixed it first off, and now problem returns

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Remove the air cleaner and see how it performs