JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I bought a Z645 mower to mow my church property. No

Customer Question

I bought a Z645 mower to mow my church property. No problems. I do all maintenance including belt replacement (both belts last year) and oil/spark plug changes. Change blades regularly. I have oil leak and cannot determine where I'm losing oil from. I can't bring it into the dealership until end of mowing season. What should I be looking for?
Barry Oswald
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me where on the engine it is leaking. front, sides, middle? Is the machine smoking any under a load? Does it get on the frame or is it underneath the machine?

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

What engine is on this machine?

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

From just basic info, you can be leaking oil from either of the valve covers, the head could be blown and leaking (usually get smoke) could be coming from dip stick gasket not being sealed off entirely, oil drain port leaking, or the oil seal at the bottom of the engine

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Engine is not smoking. It has a Briggs & stratton engine. Can't tell from where it's leaking. Oil is basicaly underneath the machine.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

If oil is underneath the machine, sounds like you have an oil seal leaking.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this something I can replace? Is it safe to run the mower?
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

yes you can use mower still. not good if it leaks down on the belt or clutch, but can be used. Replacement is pretty easy. have to pull all pulleys off the crankshaft and then dig old one out with screwdriver and tap new one on