Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We have a Ezgo petrol buggy audit started backfiring and

Customer Question

Hello, we have a Ezgo petrol buggy audit started backfiring and running bad, I cleaned the Carb out and it ran for 5 minutes then cut out like no fuel is getting through. I cleaned the fuel filter also but no good. Steve
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel is in tank and valve open, it is run on a very dusty camp site and there was a lot of dust in the filter and Carb
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was going to do , I was going to take off Carb again and make sure all clean and blow through the fuel lines. I was just looking for any tips with the Carb as the small tubes could be blocked
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: think that is all
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

The older two cycle, single cylinder ,or the later twin 4 cycle engine? Are you getting fuel to the carb from the fuel pump when cranking?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
fuel is getting through but low flow, then again I am not sure of the rate
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is the single cylinder

Here is link for the carburetor. Just so you know, what you can buy one for! But check the fule flow, it does not need much, 1/4 cup in 30 seconds would be plenty. Check the fuel supply from tank to the fuel pump. You may have a blockage before the fule pump.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is similar to that but different where the control cables fit, It is a recent model 2011/12 was caught for London olympics and sat until last year unused
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have ordered a new filter but tried to clean old one out with fuel and a air line

Four cycle, no oil in gas or oil injected?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has oil lubricating not in the fuel it is a Kawasaki engine
not there at the moment so not 100% but single cylinder, with oil reservoir

Can you find engine model number? This late model usually has the 295 cc 2 cylinder engine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will take a look when I go back it may have 2 cylinders but only noticed 1 plug other could be underneath

If it is the standard engine, it is a timing belt engine, and you could have a timing belt that has slipped. Like link below!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check on it when I get back in work

OK>

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Engine is code FJ400D-CS07-R
KAWASAKI
E/NO FJ400DB33350
I cleaned out fuel pump yesterday and but started but as soon as we hit a steep hill it cut out and is the same again. I will wait until new fuel filter arrives and clean out pump again. Have you any suggestions?

Single cylinder, gear timed engine, no timing belt. Valves set at .004 to .006 inch. Coil and flywheel magnet is all that makes the spark. Manual on the engine does not show fuel pump. Is this a pulse pump. or electric fuel pump? Does engine die? How long before it will restart? Does it have spark when it quits?

See the PDF , second one listed? That is service and parts manual, you will have to download it. above link.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fuel pump is vacuum operated seems to be linked to the engine turning, It is pumping when turning over.

Pulse pump. Ok, so you are going to replace the fuel filter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will pop a new plug in as well

oK>