Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My LTX 1040 is running rough. It only wants to run when

Customer Question

My LTX 1040 is running rough. It only wants to run when fully choked and even then it stutters every once in awhile. Do you know what could be the problem? Also, what is the small electrical device mounted to the bottom of the carburetor bowl?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

What engine is this? Single cylinder or twin? The solenoid in the carburetor is the anti backfire solenoid, and it plugs the main jet in the carburetor when it is closed. It has to be fully open at all times the key is on. It has to have 12 volts to work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Single cyl, SV590 I believe. I am not at home to look at it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Service manual link above. It shows the carburetor and solenoid valve. You may not be getting fuel to the carburetor, or the needle valve and float may be plugged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This manual gives me a lot to look for. If I go through some of the things I find in the manual and I still haven't fixed my problem, can I get back to you and resume this conversation?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, just use the link in your email to get back.