JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

How do I replace a drive control cable on a Husquavarna HU

Customer Question

How do I replace a drive control cable on a Husquavarna HU 775H mower
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HU775H and about 4 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Bought used and purchased a drive cable so I do not know how it is supposed clip to the drive belt or the handle
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Owners manual shows the unit being put together and the adjustment of the cable, this should show how the cable is routed and clamped See link above.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you serious. This is the same manual that I pulled up online for FREE.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

They don't make a service manual. Just his and a parts list! I don't know what you have looked at!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Let me opt out and see if you can get better help! Don't respond to me or it will lock your request.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** will be happy to help you today. Are you replacing the entire control handle assembly or just the cable?
As for the cable look on the transmission for a small hole on a plastic arm. If needed I can send diagrams
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Send diagrams for transmission and handle placement for the cable
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Okay, I want to start off by sending you a service bulletin on this model machine (you will have to check the product number) but if you have one of the listed Product numbers, you can take your machine to your local dealer and have them repair for FREE. COPY and PASTE the link below. You can also see the proper cable routing inside the handle in the pictures.

AS Curtis has stated there is no service manual. Husqvarna offers a diagram, but it is not helpful. I will be more than happy to try to explain it all though.

Once cable is mounted on the handle it runs along the left side of handle and goes into the rear of deck. hook wire (with spring like hookup) to transmission first before hooking handle up as it is easier to install this way. You will see a plastic arm coming from the transmission with a small hole that the cable will hook into. Once this is connected, install handle part on the machine.

I would check the product number before buying this cable assembly as it is approx. $40-$60 that you may not have to pay for

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you going to send the diagrams?
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

uploading now. the diagrams are the same thing you have already gotten offline as there are no service diagrams for these. Husqvarna requires us to attend training schools to learn the proper placement of these parts and no specific diagrams are avail. other than generic online diagrams.

I will upload personal pictures though if that will help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Especially the handle assembly
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

the internals?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

okay, give me a min to snap pic and upload

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Handle internals. Do you need pic of where it connects to transmission?

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Connects to transmission here

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this.