Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I own. 2002 Coachmen Catalina Sport 285QC. The ground wire

Customer Question

Good morning,
My name is***** and I own. 2002 Coachmen Catalina Sport 285QC.
The ground wire screw and the computer board on the Onan 4 K generator was both loose and vibrating too much (not making a solid ground), so I removed the solenoid and computer board to get in and tighten the grounding screw.
As a result, I failed to connect a green wire and also a white wire, both have an installation loop connection for quick/easy bolting or affixing to something... I didn't recall removing them, so I don't know where they go.
The generator runs great and starts quickly from inside the coach or at the generator start toggle switch, but the power generated isn't getting to the transfer switch, which is working properly. I only know this because I purchased a new transfer switch thinking that was the problem. A meter test of the white and green wires yields 112 volts when the generator is running. The 30 amp breaker switch is in the ON position (I've also switched it back and forth several times to ensure that wasn't the problem. That is unless the breaker switch is bad. When I first stumbled onto the problem, the generator was making a loud clicking and humming noise long after everything was turned off. The house battery was drained, so I charged it... The clicking seemed to stop when I juggled the grounding wires and the circuit board. Later that evening, I heard a loud explosion (similar to a truck tire blowing out). I realized the next morning that the house battery had exploded inside of the entrance steps. I've replaced the battery. Could the battery explosion have caused the generator breaker switch to go bad? If not, I'm convinced that if the breaker switch is functioning properly, the two hot wires must be the cause for generator power not reaching the transfer switch.
I'm confident the problem will be resolved when I figure out where the white and green wires are supposed to be connected.
Your time, effort and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
-James Mobile phone is(###) ###-####if you have any additional questions
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

You didn't give the model number of the genset (the model of the coach is no help at all), but I am assuming this unit is in the KY family.

If so, and that white and green wire are 12ga wires, then they are the neutral and ground from the stator. Both of them get attached to the ground lug under the controller.

This is why you are not getting power to the transfer switch - no neutral or ground circuits.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That sounds like a rather simple resolution. To avoid the hassle/process of removing the board to access the ground lug, can I simply ground the green & white wire to another well grounded source?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

For safety, they really need to be connected directly to the ground lug.

I have never even considered attaching them anywhere else, but don't see why it wouldn't work. The problem would be that if you ever get a short in your coach, it could lead to damage to either the genset or coach if you do not get a strong bond to ground.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?