Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a troybilt mustang 50 xp zero turn mower that I just

Customer Question

I have a troybilt mustang 50 xp zero turn mower that I just replaced the belt on and after I installed the new belt , I started it up and the belt came off ..I ve already attempted this like 4 or 5 times and cant seem to figure out why the belt keeps coming off at start up?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yyes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no not really
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Do you have the model numbers for your mower? I would like to take a look at a diagram of your mower.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
17ARCACP011
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for these numbers. Are you using an OEM belt?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Does your belt seem to be tight enough?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yeah it does , I'm pretty sure that I have it routed right..it is not an oem belt though , I got it at tractor supply
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Please take a look at the image below. Check out the parts I have highlighted with red arrows.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok I did
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks! Check each of the highlighted pulleys to see if they are partially binding, or have a slight wobble.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the belt is the required length , but I'm not sure if the thickness is close enough
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Double check your belt routing. Also, check your idler pulley arm #6, for excessive up and down movement.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

If all of your pulleys are true and spin freely, without wobbling, and your idler arm is pivoting freely, without excessive up and down play, then our problem could be the belt you are using.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
now the original belt that was on there started doing the same thing but there was a tear in it so I figured that the belt was stretched. Ill have to check the pulleys tomorrow morning
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the pulleys do have a wobble in them then what should I do ? Can those be replaced
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

This will be fine. Just grab each pulley and wiggle it, and spin each by hand. Your idler pulley will be simple to replace. If one of your transaxle pulleys are wobble, then you could have a worn bearing on the input shaft that goes into your transaxle.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

If your idler arm is bent or partially binding, it is simple to replace also.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Your idler arm has to pivot smoothly and freely back or forth.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hopefully it is none of those and the belt , but I'm sure that the idler pulley and arm would be easy to replace
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I am also hoping that our problem is simple to resolve. Just to be sure, I would return the belt you have to TSC, and pick up an OEM belt.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Process of elimination ...

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Your Mustang have a fairly straightforward drive system.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
right totally know all about process of elimination...yeah my mustang does ...this is the first time that ive had to replace the drive belt
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I will work you until we get this resolved.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks , if one of those fans are sitting too high that would cause a problem correct?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome! If one of your fans are sitting too high, this indicates that your pulley is also too high, and could cause a belt to jump off.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can those pulleys be adjusted or lowered if that is the problem?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

There is a snap ring that holds your input shafts in place. Since your pulleys are bolted to your input shafts, the only way for them to rise up, would be if you are having an issue with your input shafts, or if your nuts are loose. Let's hope that after you inspect them, your pulleys are fine.