Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Craftsman 17.5hp OHV 44" cut, modelA picture of choke and

Customer Question

Craftsman 17.5hp OHV 44" cut, model###-##-####A picture of choke and throttle connections. It appears to me that the throttle cable go's to the governor arm and the choke may be going to the throttle carburetor valve nearest the motor. Boy, could I use some help. This craftsman riding mower was build in 2013. I have more ID numbers on hand. Many many picture's on the Internet but not mine. I quit consuming alcohol 25 years, 8 months, 27 days ago. I bet after a few brews I could figure this thing out. Thanks Tommy B, WV
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Book says 2013, CRAFTSMAN.
MODEL ,###-##-####
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, a friend helped and screwed with the governor. Even eliminate it. He's 85 and knows everything.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The riding mower runs but chokes on the slow speed not t on high speed on start. No governor at all. I did the static adjustment, I fill it is correct
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

This is MTD engine. But it is very similar to the Briggs in the throttle and choke setup. See yours in the above link.

Here is the Briggs setup. The cable on the lower right, with the white plastic piece is the throttle cable. Yu loosen the clip that holds the outer cable and move it in or out to give the throttle more throw. Usually you will move cable housing to the right, then clamp it down and move the throttle to the choke position, toward the end of the stroke, the throttle lever comes up and pushes the end of the choke to close it. You have to keep adjusting the cable till it moves the choke to fully closed for starting.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the excact print, and the same picture of choke and throttle connection. These are not anything like mine. No white plastic part on my "Componsnt Bracket" part number, MTD 951-14457, price $10.23. The very same number as my bracket and as the one in first drawing you emailed me. Notice their is no " white piece" on your print you sent me.
What I need is a coke and throttle drawing or picture of the bracket # MTD951-14457 on the first drawing you furnished me. This drawing of the Component Bracket is not the same Component Bracket in the picture. Please help.
MTD###-##-####(13a277sS099) Craftsman LT1500 Lawn tractor (2013)
Thank You Kindly, Tommy B***@******.***
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hope you got my first reply.
TommyB
I was smart enough to save the first reply. In case this computer crashes.

Can you attach picture of your linkage? look for attaching icon near typing bar, tree or paperclip usually. How does your cable adjust if it is not held with clamp?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Trying to contact you, I have written a few times with no luck getting through.
My server is out. I will contact you in the morning. I will get picture to you tomorrow.
Thanks, ***** ***** to a PAt O tonight at just ans.com thanks again.
Tommy B

OK>

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am trying to get back with you, dayly. But between me, my computer, and my server, it has been difficult. You last asked for a picture of my linkage setup, I am trying.
The areas of concern is the carburetor picture and the parts drawing you sent me. The parts drawing is correct and is identical to what is on my machine. But the carburetor picture is not the same carburetor on mine. These two pictures would not go together and I believe would not work together. If I could see the setup of the choke and throttle linkage that is used with the component bracket and the parts related to such in the parts list drawing you've sent.
Thank you very much. I am sorry for my lack of proper communication.
Again I very much appreciate your assistance.
Tommy B

OK< let's try for picture.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there not information from this copied letter I send on Aug 31, 8:31.
My problem with getting you the picture is that I am using an older iPad and it does not let me add a picture to this "just-ask reply form. I don't believe I would have a problem with emailing a picture if you could furnish an email address. Thanks again,I am trying to get back with you, dayly. But between me, my computer, and my server, it has been difficult. You last asked for a picture of my linkage setup, I am trying.
Tommy B
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Re-written, 9/01/16Craftsman 17.5hp, OHV, model 247.28882 (13A277SS099). LT1500 Lawn Tractor, 4P900HU (2013).
What I need is a picture of the choke and throttle connections on or at the carburetor.
It appears to me that the throttle cable from the dash lever is connected to the choke on the carburetor. But this would not work because when the operators dash lever is in the start on full choke position it has placed the movable cable to it’s full position or opening the choke. A connecting rod (1/16th”diameter x 7” or so long) that goes through the center of a spring and is attached on one end at the governor arm and connected at the other end at the throttle valve.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

See link above. This is not yours, I know that, but using it as a guide, you have three levers on the throttle bracket, the top ,right hand lever is the governor lever, it has to be a long solid link , that goes from lever to the throttle lever on the carburetor. The center lever , is where the cable attaches, and the left end lever is a solid link that is the choke link, and goes from lever to the choke lever on carburetor inlet. When throttle cable is moved to maximum travel, it should push the choke lever and close the choke flap.