Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Rick, I have a few BDP-10A hydro gear pumps which I'm having

Customer Question

Rick, I have a few BDP-10A hydro gear pumps which I'm having trouble with 5 to be exact. I'm pretty sure of what's wrong with 4 of them however have a left side pump on a Gravely 34" which I can't figure out. If you look at the BDP-10A service schematic it has the trunnion return kit in box 110 which connects control levers to trunnion. The problem is when you move control lever in reverse there is all kinds of power, when you move to forward it feels like controls aren't even connected to pump then there is a metal hitting metal feeling. No forward movement of wheel, in fact if you look at trunnion when moving controls forward, shaft does not move. When moving lever to reverse shaft does move.
My question is what could be wrong that is causing the shaft not to move when trying to go forward? Could it be something in the return kit which connects controls to shaft? Doesn't seem like it would be trunnion shaft problem inside pump since it still moves in reverse.
However I could be wrong, looking for some starting point before going inside pump. Could there possibly be something broke on exterior of trunnion shaft which would cause it not to move into forward position. I tend to ramble so I'll stop now, hope you understand my dilemma.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Hal if you are still in need of assistance, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I sent a reply days ago that I still was in need of an answer to my question above. Haven't heard anything to date but my card was charged. I would like to have some help with this problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

I will work with you. If your trunnion shaft will not move, when you move your control arm to forward position, you and I can do some troubleshooting, to help figure out what is causing our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

To begin, remove your control arm rod, from the lever on your pump, then try moving the lever by hand. Let's see if you fell the same amount of resistance in forward and reverse positions.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Also, you can remove your return kit from your pump, then use a crescent wrench, to move your trunnion shaft. Rock back and forth between forward and reverse, as you feel for resistance, and listen for the noise that resembles metal hitting metal.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Have you noticed any oil leaks on your pump? This is a process of elimination. You and I can continue from here.