Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

On 318 deere, the engine runs roughly when tractor is in

Customer Question

on 318 john deere, the engine runs roughly when tractor is in certain positons and acts like pto kicks in and out briefly. flip pto off and engine purrs like a kitten. Replaced started 4 wks aqo at dealer and had no previous problems with pto
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: it is
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: at least troubleshooting the problem
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it worked fine before putting starter on it. Took it back and they said voltage regulator was bad and put a new toggle pto switch on it. I've had it with taking it to the dealer
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

If it is running fine with PTO off, the issue is going to be either the PTO or the power going to the PTO. Sounds like the PTO is not getting the power it needs to turn properly and it is dragging the engine down to try and compensate. What is the voltage reading at the battery and also the reading going into the clutch? Check all wires going to the clutch for breaks or melted spots