JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

My deere 345 suddenly will not start I have a full charge on

Customer Question

My john deere 345 suddenly will not start I have a full charge on the battery, I put a new starter on and still nothing when I turn the key. If I cross the starter terminals it only grows
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes there is fuel and it is clean
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the starter will not engage when turning the key
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

What happens when you try to jump the solenoid?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It just make a humming sound
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Check to make sure the starter gear is not jammed on the flywheel and the humming is from starter trying to engage. Try powering the starter directly and see if it spins over.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I turned the fly wheel by hand & also jumped the 2 pols on the starter while I had it out and the starter does spin
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also tried to check the small wire connection while turning the key and could not get a voltage reading
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

did you test the starter on or off the machine? It may spin off, but not have the power to spin under pressure.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
on & off both, but the gear on the starter staid in the lower position shouldn't it move upward while spinning
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

yes it should. if it is not moving, you need a new starter or at least rebuild that one if it has a kit to rebuild it

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

What engine is on the machine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
18hp Kawasaki
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just put a new starter on and it does the same thing
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I am unsure about the humming sound. Let me OPT OUT and see if a JD Expert may be better able to assist you. Please do not respond as a new expert will not get question then. Sorry, but I do not want to give you wrong info