Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

7500 quiet diesel starts runs for only 1 or 2 seconds I

Customer Question

7500 quiet diesel starts runs for only 1 or 2 seconds I think it has a code 33 what do you think
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

There is no 33 fault

When it blinks 3 3, you have to push the button again, and it will give you a two digit fault code such as blink-blink-blink pause blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink which would be code 36. Code 36 could be a clogged air filter or fuel filter.

Let me know what second code reads.

I am not a GEN SET Expert, but I can help on some simple issues, and if not, I will OPT OUT and try to get you an ONAN expert ASAP.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

On the HDK series units, there is indeed a code 33. It is critical that you can differentiate between a code 3 and a code 33.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

If you are having difficulty with it, I have made a short (3 minute) video showing the process.

Click here to view the video.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Did you verify the code yet?