Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My lawn tractor won't start after just running. It ran out

Customer Question

My lawn tractor won't start after just running. It ran out of gas, but won't start now after I put gas in it. It cranks, but no sign of any trying to start. I pulled the spark plug and it seems to be firing.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes, full of new gas. no shut off valve/
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: probably
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it is an 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on a John Deere L108 lawn tractor.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Can you try spraying gas, starting fluid, carb cleaner into carb and see if engine will start?

Let me know what id does and we will troubleshoot from there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I finally got thru the rain and got to the mower. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake, but it just spins. Doesn't even try to hit. I removed the top cover and saw that the flywheel was rusty a little and sanded down the timing marks and verified that I do have spark when it is being cranked. I looked at the pulleys underneath while the engine was cranking and they are turning. When cranking, it is like there is no compression and turning at a faster rate than normal.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Okay, if you sprayed fuel into it and nothing and you have verified you have spark, I would start looking at compression also as that will be the only thing are missing for engine run. Can you move the top of the engine easy with the spark plug in? Sounds like you have a compression issue, which could mean stuck ring, or other major issues as well.