John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a John Deere LX 188 with the water cooled Kawasaki

Customer Question

I have a John Deere LX 188 with the water cooled Kawasaki engine, that loses power after short use., New carb, coils , tried electric fuel pump, resorted to the dealer repair, no clue. Any Ideas
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It is a 91 engine that Runs good and has not done anything like it before or I would have guessed what it is
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Me or one of my mechanics. I have a shop and am not a green horn
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is a mystery to some very seasoned mechanics, 100 lb cylinder pressure, 13.8 volts to the coils and 4 lb fuel pressure.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

It just loses power, it does not quit? When it loses power, run the cylinder test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, if engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. With good spark, and with compression, have the valves been adjusted? FD501 model is set at .010 intake and exhaust.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
all the above by us and then the Ag Power dealer. Same results

Has it been checked when it is ho and problem is there? And you have set the valves?

Has it been ran with test line on the inlet of the fuel pump, dropped back into the fule tank filler opening, bypassing the tank and outlet.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Correct, I assumed vapor lock and ran engine on an electric pump. It is not a fuel issue.

Valves are set at .010 inch?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK> I will opt out. Maybe someone else can help. Please do not respond to me, or it will lock the question.

Expert:  John Oliver replied 8 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** i can add something in here. when the power loss occures what is being expelled from the exhaust? black smoke or gas smell?