JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Emerald plus 4000 Onan generator 4BGEFA261OOH S/N

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Emerald plus 4000 Onan generator 4BGEFA261OOH S/N J900352789. This unit will not stay running after you let off the starter switch. I have read it could be a circuit board or a voltage regulator?? Pulled the low oil pressure wire off and grounded it and nothing changed. Out camping and don't have any tools to check current or voltage but would just order both parts and pick them up in next town if that is what u think?? I know there is a complete diagnosis for this but looking for a quick fix because im out on the road and by the time I fine a tech and pay labor I could probably buy both parts. Thanks for your help in advance
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its in my message. Onan EMERALD PLUS 4000 4BGEFA26100H twenty TO TWENTY FIVE YEARS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

There is also a relay in the system that could be causing your problem. I am including the parts manual with this comment so that you can get a better idea as to what you are looking for. On page 16, reference 7 is the relay, page 17 gives you the part number for it.

If this relay goes bad it can cause the same issue that you are having in that it will not keep the fuel pump or system operating when the start switch is released.

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/965-0232%20Onan%20BGE%20(spec%20A-E)%20BGEL%20(spec%20B-D)%20Emerald%20I%20RV%20GenSet%20Parts%20Manual%20(01-1990).pdf

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.