Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a great Dane jr that the belt slips off top of

Customer Question

Have a great Dane jr that the belt slips off top of tensioner on deck. How do I adjust to stop this. The belt should ride about middle ways of the tensioner
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Is this pulley tilted, or the one back to the right, not shown/ If either are not straight and square, belt will walk off. A bad bearing on either pulley would cause pulley to tilt.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I pulled the idler pulley and am replacing it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with either of the pulleys

Run a straight edge over the top f the pulleys, looks like the right pulley may not be level.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ran a straight edge, all are flat with each other

With belt riding up on the right pulley, and in the center on the left pulley, seems to be something is not straight! Belt is walking up the pulley.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's what I thought, but the old pulley only had a mark where the belt has ran on top of pulley. And I also checked the clutch and it runs smooth and true, and there is no wobble any where.

Shaft for pulley or the arm to it, is not bent? For belt to ride up, pulley needs to go more left at the top. Can the bracket on the mount, right side, be shimmed to change the angle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It came with 3 shims underneath already, if I were to add another would also need to lengthen the bolt for the tensioner.

I was thinking more like tilting the assembly, and you could do that by removing one or two of the shims.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you remove shims it just lowers the tensioner and belt jumps right off and the pulley on the spindle housing will not lower or tilt

OK< I will opt out. Maybe someone else can help. Please do not respond to me, or it will lock the question. Sorry.