JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

My JD Lt 160 won't start. New battery, changed the fuel

Customer Question

my JD Lt 160 won't start. New battery, changed the fuel filter. Will crank but not fire up. Blades are off, park is on. Oil was low so i added some. can't figure it out. got any ideas?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: i didn't check the shut off but i never touch it, there is new fuel in the tank
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i stopped running the other day and i jumped w my car. Because of that i replaced the battery (it was just clicking) removed and cleaned all the wire contacts from battery to starter.
JA: Anything else you want the engine expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: its 16 horses and before it stopped it was runnnig good. Just stopped tody in middle of a cut.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

try putting fuel into carb manually and see if it will start up. If so, it will be a carb issue. if not, it will most likely be a coil issue and mower not getting fire at the plugs

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that will take a little time as i have to remove the covers. how do i check the coil?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

if you do not have a tester, you will need to remove the plug, and then plug back into the wire. lay plug to where it will ground on the machine and turn over to see if it sparks.

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

if you spray fuel into the plug hole and reinsert plug it should fire with spark. if not, you have no spark. you can test the coil also by removing the ground wire off the coil and trying to start machine. (will not be able to kill engine with key) if I starts, you have a bad coil

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok that will take a little time. Are you monitoring this conversation so i can resume if i need to?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

yes. I will be on laptop until 5pm EST and then mobile until 6pm and then on/off of laptop at home. I will reply ASAP

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i removed the air filter and sprayed some stater fluid into the carb. Started for just a second. Does that indicate a carb problem?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you are having carb issues. coil is fine. Do you have a fuel solenoid on the bottom of your carb bowl?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what does that look like? Its a stock moter
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

it is mounted on the bottom of the carb and will have wire(s) run to it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ill look
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i do
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

when you turn the key the first turn, do you hear a click? This solenoid has a valve inside that drops down when the key is tunred on. It allows fuel to flow and be pulled into cylinder to start

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
stanby
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no sound that i can hear
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

you can also remove it from the carb, and hooked up, turn key and see visually if it pulls down when key is turned

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i try that
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

If this is not coming down, this is the problem and it will need replaced. bad thing is, many of these can not be purchased without a new carb. may have to find a shop with a used one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well ist not moving when i turn the key. Just so happens i have the same tractor for parts so i'll try that part. I'll get back to you
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Awesome, you are lucky then. that solenoid is not avail without the carb.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
changed it. still not working. w new one did't click or move when the key is turned or start w installed
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

do you have a volt meter to test power? Will want to test to make sure power is getting to the solenoid then since new one isn't working either

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where do i test?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

do you have one or 2 wires at solenoid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

run + to wire and ground on the side of solenoid

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what am i lookin for on the meter?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

I honestly would use a pair of side cutters and cut the valve off. This is what we normally do as this solenoid can only be purchased with carb. this will allow fuel to flow and test to make sure it will run since you do have 2 of them

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

you want 12V as that's what powers it to pull downwards when key is turned

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
im getting 12+ on the red wire to gnd from sol
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Are you sure the other one was good?

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Can you press the valve down easy with your finger?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you mean basicly disconct the sol from the power and try to start? yes both worked easly
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Take a pair of side cutter, and cut that little valve off flush as you can. screw back into carb bowl and try to start machine

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, you mean the plunger inside the sol?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

correct

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

I am about to be driving home, but will try to stay on mobile and answer ASAP. My service goes in/out through the mountains though. I will be home around 545-600 pm EST

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. Then will it run as the test? or not run smoothly? How will i know. ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My sol has a quick disconnect wire so i disconnected the wire tested it to gnd and there are 12 volts. so i guessing the sol has power. just won.t start w/o starter fluid in the car
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
Being as when it was hooked up and the key was turned it did not pull down which means the solenoid is bad. You will either have to cut that solenoid or purchase a new one. I personally would cut one of those reinstall and try to start
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok ill try that. should it keep running if thats the fix? or what will happen if thats the fix?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
It will run
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
still won't start. same action
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
I would attempt to clean the car up then. With the solenoid plunger not coming down shows that the solenoid is bad, and a bad solenoid will not allow fuel to flow. When you remove the carburetor Bowl did fuel come out?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
here is what i did. took the boul off the botoom of the carb. no dirt, float moves easily. Checked for gas flow and there is gas. when plunging the sol back in w the key in the on position i heard clicking. just not from that sol. put it all back together w both the old sol and the cut off sol. doen'st do any thing different.
what do you think?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
Carburetor is not pulling its own fuel which means there is a clogged jet internally.
It is odd that the solenoid would be bad and have a clogged jet.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do i get to the jets? Can i do it? Do i unbolt the 2 bolts over the carb and do i need a gasket to but it back to gether?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
When you pull the bowl off you will see a jet in the center area get a can of carb cleaner and spray it through the center you can also buy a cleaner to soak it in if you wish. As long as you do not damage the gasket a new one is not needed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't recognize any thing that might be a jet. I have removed the solution and the Boulder directly above it. exposing the bottom of the float. Do I have to remove the air filter housing ?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
You will need to,remove the entire carb to clean properly
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. well so I don't have to bug you tonight.
I'm pulling off the carb., in the middle I should see the jets. How many are there? clean the jets, put back re bolt the carb . I understand that if I see gunk obviously it's the jet. Just put everything back to get her and try to start?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
You are correct. Tou have more jets but the main jet is in center. If you have an air compressor blow carb out with air
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can do that.too. Do the jets unscrew? I don't know if I will get.to this tonight or not
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
The one in the center may, some do and some do not
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
If there is a hole that looks like sonething can getin it and clog up, clean it out of you ca or at least try
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sounds unhappily familur :)thanks
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
Lol. Let me know the outcome
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry Jon but I can't see anything that might be a jet. I see 2 butterfly valves that's all
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
The center port once you pull The carb bowl off. The part that the solenoid screws into is a jet down in there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ha ha really? I had guessed that but didn't beleive myself. so turn over the carb to access the jet. Got it
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.
Its a learning process. You will get it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jon, i finally got back to the tractor repair i was busy with other things yesterday. Removed the carb, cleaned the jet with wire and put it all back together. I did get it to start but then in less that a minute it sputtered to a stop. swapped the solenoid back and forth same response, Pulled the plug, it was in good shape. made sure the fuel was flowing. I don't know but i think ill pull the carb again and try the jet one more time. Any other ideas?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like it is just a stubborn carb issue. Some times they cannot be cleaned but I would not give up. It helped it before, but there is something still inside it. I have had them where I had to clean 3-5 times . Hopefully you will not have to do it that many but.... Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. Best way to clean it?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

I use carb cleaner and air compressor along with a wire if needed. Air compressor helps

Expert:  JON replied 8 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this.