Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

First problem, grass cutting height motor will not raise or

Customer Question

first problem, grass cutting height motor will not raise or lower deck, mower would run and cut grass, deck at lowest position, stopped, pulled levers, including light switch, engine stopped and will not start, battery is good, checked connections, getting power to starter solenoid but power to display panel and solenoid will not pull in. some limit switch apparently has it stopped. checked seat switch. which safety switch is it most likely to be
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: the engine is about one year old and it has never done anything like this before, I feel sure that the engine will start if I can get power to it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I drove the mower abut 10 feet from storage house to front yard and tried to get mower de4ck to raise, I pulled several switches, thinking it had to be an electric motor to raise and lower the deck, no hydraulics suspected. whatever I did caused the 20 amp automotive type fuse to blow, I replaced it. when I insert the two plastic switch devices and push the start button absolutely nothing happens, solenoid does not pull in and instruments panel lights do not come on.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Make and model? Do you have a voltmeter to test with? Dash and keyswitch gets voltage through the switch, from the posiitve side of the starter solenoid. The fuse may be bad, or the fuse holder may not be making the connection.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a volt meter and have 12 volts to the input side of the solenoid but no voltage to the energizing side, I e no voltage to make solenoid work
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Shorted seat switch, no good, no power to headlights and no power yo electronic dashboard, found brake swtitch and depressed it several times by hand, ground speed pedal seems to be in neutral. Without a wiring diagram it is difficult to check electon path with a volt meter or an ohm meter

I need make and model. Check for voltage past the fuse to the keyswitch.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't know model just snapper nxt 27 hp and 52 inch cut. I don't understand what the starter insert does, it apparently that the plastic insert seperates 2 metal contacts

Check the power wire from battery cable connection. Be sure there is voltage past the fuse. 280-10 is fuse wire. I see snapper uses the battery connection instead of the solenoid end of same cable, See diagram above in the link.