Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I am repowering an Exmark Metro HP and had questions on

Customer Question

I am repowering an Exmark Metro HP and had questions on removal of the original engine. Specifically the best way to get the sheaves/pulleys off the drive shaft.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The engine is 10 years old and I have a new Kawasaki replacement engine FS 481 S13R that Small Engine Warehouse advised was its replacement. Just starting to remove the old engine.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just want to avoid common mistakes in removing the old engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Jon. I am reasonably handy with this type of work but want to avoid mistakes and have this go smoothly.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

The correct way to remove the pulleys is going to be by using a pulley puller. If this is not avail then you can reinsert the bolt in the crankshaft and lightly hit the head of bolt while applying pressure between engine and pulley(s).

What model engine is this on the machine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not removed the mail drive shaft bolt yet. I have questions on the best way to loosen that also.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oops Main drive shaft bolt.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I received a call from American Express wanting me to confirm this charge and I did confirm.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

It states payment failure on this end. may have to contact customer support on bottom of your page.

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Are you using air tools of hand tools?