Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

On JD LT150, mower came to a stop while in use. Found

Customer Question

On JD LT150, mower came to a stop while in use. Found hydrostatic traction belt had broke and discovered tranny fan blades gone (didn't realize until then). Replaced both. Mower still doesn't move. Drive pulley/sheave moves when engine on, but belt does not. Wondering if some adjustment required or maybe something not engaging like it should. Can push mower when free-wheel handle pulled out. Also found piston (shock absorber?) related to forward/reverse pedals missing a nut, so it was not attached to mower frame - don't have replacement nut yet, but piston seems to work with piston stud/pin in position w/o nut. Wondering if LT150 shop/technical manual pages related power train are available - like I found on this site for LT155 fm 4 years ago. Pages related to pedal linkage may be helpful, too, to determine if something more than a nut is missing. Thx
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Is your traction drive belt tight?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To me it is
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You stated that your traction drive belt is not moving. This indicates that your belt is too loose.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Please take a look at the link above.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Do you have your belt properly routed around all of your pulleys? Do your belt smell like it is burning?

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

If your belt is routed correctly, it should tighten after you fully release your brake/clutch pedal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Had that diagram from JD, so believe routed correctly. If belt is not moving b/c too loose, then tension needs to increase. Looks like pulley #32 is the only thing that can do that via the slot in bracket #5, correct? All other pulleys are fixed. Can tension be increased with belt in place? How far would the pulley have to move? Must be some a reference distance that can be measured somewhere. On the brake, I was wondering if that could be a factor. But if I can manually push mower when engine not running (& brake pedal released), then seems like brake is not the problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

#10 and #32 should tighten your belt, after you release your brake pedal. Will your mower roll if your push your bypass lever in, and then try pushing your mower?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have not tried pushing mower w/ bypass pushed in. Thought of that as something to test / rule out, but it was well after I had given up for the night. When I do try, If mower doesn't move (& it should not), then what does that mean? Or if it does move, what does that mean? With the bypass lever out and it can be pushed, does that rule out a transmission problem?
Still like your first thought that belt not moving b/c too loose, like #32 needs to move to increase belt path to increase tension, not sure which way it needs to move by looking at diagram. At same time, I did think brake seemed a little easier to release than normal use, but normal use is when mower deck also installed (and it still off right now).
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Yes, that will rule out a problem with your transmission. Most of the time, your transmission will give a warning prior to failing completely.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

I would definitely focus on your belt, rather than your transmission. Keep in mind that your mower was driving just fine, prior to your belt breaking.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

We can continue on tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What kind of warning does a transmission give? And if fan blades have been gone for some time, and it was not getting cooled, then I was thinking transmission also a problem. But you're saying it is not transmission if bypass lever out (not in) and I can manually push mower.
Any idea which way to move #32 in the slot? And by how much? Has to be recommended distance that can be measured on something b/c if distance is not correct, belt tension is either too loose or too tight, and neither is good.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure of the recommended distance for your belt. If you can get someone to assist you. Have them to fully depress and fully release your brake/clutch pedal, as you watch part #32. This will help you to determine if your belt is actually tightening, and also will help you to determine if your belt is routed correctly. Transmission will usually whine, slip, jerk, etc., prior to going out completely.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thx, that's it for today.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome! Take your time and inspect everything closely.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Also, keep in mind that the flat side of your belt goes against your flat pulley, and the v side of your belt fits into your v-pulleys.