Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 4000 Onan generator with 333 hours on it in my 1999

Customer Question

I have a 4000 Onan generator with 333 hours on it in my 1999 Winabago RV. The generator starts ok, and runs ok, until I turn on the A/C, then it starts to surge and shuts off. After waiting for about an hour it will start up ok, but then repeat the same problem. Any ideas or suggestions?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Almost a full tank, the gas in the RV is about 1 year old. The RV itsself starts right up. The carburator on the generator was replaced last November.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. The carburator work was done by Benchmark RV Center, in Sun Valley, CA
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We have had this RV for over 12 years and it has only been in the lsast year that this problem started.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

This could be either a bad fuel pump, or a bad carburetor.

Since it has to sit for a while before it will restart, it is most likely the fuel pump.