Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Cub Cadet Lawn tractor LXT1050vt. PTO wont work for blades.

Customer Question

Cub Cadet Lawn tractor LXT1050vt. PTO wont work for blades. Replaced the PTO switch.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Many days. Replaced the PTO switch. Replaced the relay. Jumped the brake switch. Jumped the seat switch every way possible. Replaced the fuse under the battery box. Replaced the PTO clutch itself. Cant find any other fuses. Engine starts fine. Just not the PTO
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yep
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well, I wouldnt be here otherwise
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Read above
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Can you get the model numbers for your mower, from under your mower seat? I would like to pull up a wiring schematic.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not without considerable effort - it is a PXT1050vt
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Are these the number from under your mower seat?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, they are on the side of the machine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

In order to be specific with your mower, I will need the numbers from under your seat. you and I need to determine if you are getting power to your pto clutch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can already tell you that I am not. That is the problem. If I hook up another 12vt source directly to the brand new clutch it works
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced the PTO switch, the relay, the fuse under the battery box. I Have jumped the break switch and have jumped the seat switch. The tractor starts and runs fine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there another fuse somewhere? I have traced the wires everywhere they go and can't find one.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for this information. I would like to help you troubleshoot our problem, but without a wiring schematic, it will be difficult.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
well, the machine is about 500 yards away in a barn . YOu are going to have to wait
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I do not mind waiting. Take your time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
13wr91ap009
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Can you give me a minute to pull up your mower?

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

You stated that you replaced your relay. Can you hear it click?

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Your pto clutch gets its ground via your relay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. What I replaced was a black box thing behind the key mechanism. Was that a fuse? I thought it was a relay. If that wasn't the relay, where is the relay and what does it look like?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It had five tangs on it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am way too deaf to hear anything click
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

The part with five tangs, is your relay. Do you have a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was a Small black box about one inch by about 1.5 inches and just plugged in to a female adapter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I do not have a test light or a multimeter
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Can you borrow one from someone, so you and I can do some troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It looks like there might be a solenoid thing behind the back seat, now that I think about it. What is that?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I live way out in the country and there is no one around
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

That is your seat safety switch. Do you know if it is still connected?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It is not the safety switch. I know what that is. I jumped it years ago. Pain in the neck. This isn't near the seat. It is on the frame behind the seat and behiond the battery bo0x
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I understand now. That is your starter solenoid. It will not affect the performance of your pto clutch. I wish you had a test light or a multimeter.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well like my dad used to say, if you wish in one hand and crap in the other, which one do you think will fill up first.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Probably the hand with the wishes ...

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Are you familiar with using jumper wires?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get the concept. I Have tried switching the jumps I made to the seat safety switch. I jumped both yellows to each other and greens to greens and even yellow to greens. No difference. Tractor starts in any of those configurations, but still no PTO
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was too hard to jump the relay or the PTO switch, so I just replaced them
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

the reason I asked is, because there is a white wire going to your pto clutch. This is your ground wire. We need to determine if it has lost its ground. If you run a jumper wire from your frame to your white wire, this will tell us if your ground wire is at fault.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used jumper wires from my car to little wires that go strait to the new PTO clutch and it works. This bypasses the entire electrical system and all the switches and fuses
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will go check the wire color to make sure I did that right with the car jump. I read somewhere that the white wire was the power wire and assumed the black one was ground as that is the usual configuration of electrical stuff.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

We need to only jump the one white wire, then turn your key switch on, and your pto switch on, to see if your pto clutch will come on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is a white and a black wire coming out of the wiring harness and to the ignition switch complex. There is a white black wire and a red wire going into the PTO clutch. I took the connector apart and hooked up the clutch only to my car jumper wires. Red to power and black to negative on the car battery. If you are saying that the white wire from the harness is ground, then my configuration for the jump was right - ground to ground power to power. The clutch jumps when I do that. So, it looks like I need to test the continuity of the white wire in the harness to the frame. Yes?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

That is correct. With a meter of some sort, we could determine if your power wire is at fault, or if your ground wire is at fault.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The trick will be getting a jump of just the white wire in the connector while the red one is still hooked to the black wire coming out of the harness
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I can figure out how to do that, and it turns out to be the power wire, then what would be the most likley cause considering I have already replaced or jumped all the switches and fuses/relays
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

If you remove just a little of the insulation from your wire, you can use a spare piece of wire, as a jumper to your frame. According to your wiring schematic, you have a White Wire, and a Blue/White wire going directly into your pto clutch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does the ignition switch for the tractor have anything to do with this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
NO white wire going directly into the PTO clutch - just a black ( maybe blue - hard to see ) and a red wire
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

It could, but we cannot confirm this without a meter. I do not like replacing parts unless they are actually at fault.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not really want to replace the ignition switch, because it is working fine to turn the tractor on.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I agree. I would rather not replace it if it is not at fault.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hmmm? Let me figure out how to test the ground wire continuity. MIght take a while
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

No problem. Take your time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When the tractor is running, there is a little signal flashing next to the hour/volt indicator. It looks like two triangles touching at their points. What is that?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I am not sure about that indicator.