JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I have a Toro 4200 EZ Rider Mower It is has less than two

Customer Question

I have a Toro 4200 EZ Rider Mower It is has less than two hours on it,. My battery was dead when I tried to start it and the key was left in the off position so it was not that that drained it, I put a new battery on and as soon as I connected it something started whirring, Nothing I did could make it stop
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It was fine after we mowed the last time which ws four weeks ago because it has been so dry here. This was the first time we tried to use it since then,
JA: Anything else you want the engine expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

How did you get it to stop whirring? Unhook the battery, maybe?

It sounds like the starter solenoid is stuck which is causing the starter to spin all of the time. This is the first thing that I would look at based on the information that you have provided.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unhooking the battery is the only way to make it stop. The "sound" is coming from a black box that wiring is going into before it goes to the solenoid

It sounds like the start relay is stuck. The start relay is the black box that you are referring to. It is about 1" square and the wiring goes into it, it has contacts internally that can sometimes stick and when they do it will cause the battery to drain. I would replace the relay which should solve your issue.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

How large is the black box that you are referring to?