JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My stihl 271 chainsaw will not firer it was fine the last

Customer Question

my stihl 271 chainsaw will not firer it was fine the last time I used it ive pulled the plug an even held on to it while pulling the rope the saw is only 1anhalf years old
JA: What's the make/model? Engine (gas or diesel)?
Customer: ms272 1411(###) ###-####engine is gas
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing the saw ran great last year got it out this year fill it with fuel pulled the rope will not start checked the plug its wet just not firing
JA: Anything else you want the engine expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: had the saw checked out at the hardware I bought it from they said the piston an cycler wall was scored they didn't even take anything apart I know that wouldn't keep the saw frpm fring
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You are correct in that the piston/cylinder damage would not keep you from getting spark to the plug but it would keep you from getting the machine started.

If you are not getting any spark to the plug the first thing that I would do is unplug the small ground wire that goes to the ignition coil itself and then recheck for spark at the plug. If you get spark then you know that the ignition coil is still good and the problem is in the wiring. If you still have no spark with that wire unplugged then the ignition coil is bad and will need to be replaced. It should still be under the Stihl ignition warranty and you should be able to have the Stihl dealer replace it at no cost to you.

If you are getting spark but it still won't start then I would do a compression check to make certain that you have at least 90 PSI compression on the machine. If less than 90 PSI then it will not start and run or if it does it will be very difficult to get started.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.