Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

6.5 hp go-kart engine. It ran fine when it was parked in the

Customer Question

6.5 hp go-kart engine. It ran fine when it was parked in the garage about a year ago. Today, tried to start it> It has spark. It has gas. maybe flooding it as it seems there is lots of gas coming back out the air filter area? It seems to have compression.
There is a toggle switch on this one that seems to be working: when I pull the start rope the indicator light next to the start toggle with flashes.
I'm not sure what is going on. I also sprayed a little engine starter into the spark pull hole without success.
Any ideas?
thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Can you check the oil to see if it smells like gas? . It sounds like from sitting the needle isn't sealing with the inlet valve and fuel is flooding it .in most cases it either drips out the air filter area or get in the crankcase and mixes with the oil
If it had gas I it for a year of sitting the gas is most likely bad as well