JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

My courier 23 HP & S will not start, it is getting gas and

Customer Question

my courier 23 HP B & S will not start, it is getting gas and spark, we checked the seat interlock and it appears to have no voltage on start and low volts when the key is turned off.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer.com. I will be happy to assist you today. Give me a few moments to look over your problem, and I will get right back to you so we can fix the issue and get your machine back to working order

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

What is the Model/Type of the engine. Should be numbers located on the valve cover

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
B & S 16 0217 YG 70409
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
model 44s777
type 0017g1
code 160217yg
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Does your seat switch have Continuity?

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

What is the model of the machine from under the seat or on the frame?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we jumped out the seat switch and it will not start
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Does it turn over? Do you have fire if it turns over?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has spark
it has gas to the carb below the air filter
when we took out a plug no gas on the plug and no gas smell when engine turned over
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

If you are not getting gas to the plug (cylinder) the carb has a clogged jet and is not pulling fuel to cylinder. Try spraying carb and seeing if it fires off for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is an electric control underneath the air filter attached to the carb. when we checked it there is no voltage going to it.
what voltage should be running through the seat / carb interlock and is there any other connections in this interlock system
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Remove the fuel solenoid if equipt and cut the valve off flush. I would install an inline fuel shut off valve also.

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

That is the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl. If you have no voltage to it, that will be the issue. It lets the fuel into the cylinder from the carb

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where does its power come from
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

you can cut the valve off of the fuel solenoid and re-install it. Should be getting fuel to run with it not there, or you can purchase a new one ifthat one is avail without a carb.

Wires should run to ignition. when you turn the key that first turn, it pulls the valve downwards to allow fuel into jets to supply the cylinder with fuel

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could the main solenoid be the problem or the ignition switch
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

The engine turns over when key turned correct? If so, No. Switch and main solenoid are working properly. If no gas is on the plug, that fuel solenoid can cause this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is no power going to the carb solenoid switch
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

you can either trace down the wires to ignition switch, or you can remove needle valve from solenoid and engine will be fine.

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

That fuel solenoid can be purchased separate from carb for approx. $100-$145. Due to the high price, I cut many a week, and install a manual fuel shut off valve instead.

Briggs and Stratton 798779

Solenoid-Fuel

More details

Your price: $130.95

0 of these in your cart

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Is your fuel solenoid a single wire or double wire

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it was in the ignition I removed the plug from the ignition body and reinstalled it and it started.
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Dirty connection. Glad it is going again for you. Hope you have a good weekend and day.

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Let me know f I can try to help in any other way