JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Murray riding mower with a 12.5 hp Briggs and

Customer Question

I have a Murray riding mower with a 12.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine model#28V707/1113-E1. I was mowing the other day and the engine cut off. I turned the key but got nothing. It didn't even click, I replaced the starter. No luck. I replaced the solenoid. Still no luck. The wires look fine and my battery tested fine. Any ideas?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Murray Model#40507X8A and I think it is a year 2000 model.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I was cutting some fairly tall thick grass but was going slow. It bogged down a little but I slowed it down. I got through a few swipes when it just cut off. The engine was pretty hot because there was steam coming off it.
JA: Anything else you want the engine expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me if you are getting voltage to the starter post when you try to start the engine?

Have you checked the inline fuse to make certain that it is good?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put 1 end of my multimeter to the positive battery terminal and the other end on the starter post and it read 12.5 volts.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked at the 15 amp fuse and it seemed fine.

Put one test lead of your meter to the starter post and the other to a good ground somewhere on the frame and then try to start the engine and tell me what kind of voltage you are getting at that time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It read zero.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried between the battery terminal on the solenoid and the starter post and read -12.5 volts. I tried between the starter post on the solenoid and the starter post and read zero. I read -12.5 between the 2 posts on the solenoid.

12.5 between the two posts on the solenoid when you tried to start the engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Can you manually turn the engine by hand?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can

If you are getting 12.5 between the two posts on the solenoid when you try to start the engine then you have to be getting 12.5 or near that at the starter post to a good ground.

Check the engine mounting bolts and make certain that they are all tight and that the engine is grounded to the frame good. Also check the starter mounting bolts where it mounts to the engine and make certain that it is tight. If either one of these are not tight it will cause a loss of ground and the starter won't operate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The engine mount bolts were coming loose at one point last year and I tightened them up. Do they also ground the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there an actual ground wire going to the engine mount bolts?

Yes, they hold the engine tight to the frame which keeps it grounded.

There could be a cable coming from the negative post of the battery to one of the mounting bolts but not usually on this brand of equipment. They depend on a good solid tight engine bolt which will keep the engine grounded to the frame which in turn leads back to the battery ground cable.

If you are concerned about the ground or a grounding issue you can always run a cable directly from the negative post of the battery directly to one of the engine mount bolts which will eliminate possible problems with grounding back through the rest of the frame.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I will check the mount bolts on the engine. The negative cable off the battery attaches to the rear frame. If I have anymore questions tomorrow can I still ask on the same thread.

Yes, if you need additional assistance just come back here and continue our conversation.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.