JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a Ryobi SS30 string trimmer. It had been hard to

Customer Question

I have a Ryobi SS30 string trimmer. It had been hard to start and the primer bulb was split. I replaced it recently and it was working OK. Yesterday I couldn't get it to start. It didn't seem to be getting any fuel so I pulled the spark plug and put a few drops directly into the cylinder. Still didn't start. Put in more with the same results. The spark plug was finally wet and I knew that it was flooded. Today I checked the spark plug. No spark. I pulled a plug from another engine (after determining that it had spark), but no spark when tested with the Ryobi. The plug from the Ryobi would spark when tested on the other engine. Looks like I've got an ignition problem. Haven't pulled the engine cover off yet to check gap.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I do have fuel in the tank, but there is no spark. Both plugs produced spark with a different engine, but neither will spark with the Ryobi.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Definitely.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well, I know there is no spark so what should I check first? The air gap?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like your ignition coil has gone bad. The part is approx. $20-$30 online.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I replace the coil and it still won't spark then how do I proceed? Re-contact you?
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

You can reach me right here and I will help you further.

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

If you have no spark it can only be the coil or the start switch that is bad.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I get back in contact with you? Is there a case number ***** other method to retrieve?
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this.

You can reach me directly though this link....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how does one access the coil on a SS30 Ryobi trimmer? I pulled one side of the engine cover ... which dropped the fuel tank and also exposes the crankcase area. Pulled the handle with the drive shaft from the other side of the engine. Found a clutch that I was able to remove with an Allen wrench, but the other side of the engine cover will still on come off. The assembly with the weights and springs appears to be in the way. You'd think that Ryobi would have designed an easier access to the coil.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

You have to pull entire engine from the shaft. Here at the shop it is a pain and time consuming as we usually just trash t hem and customer buys new due to they are not an expensive trimmer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I remove the clutch?
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

you don't have to remove the clutch

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The plastic case that surrounds the forward part of the engine (and also covers the ignition coil) can't be removed without removing the clutch.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, I closed shop and was driving home. There should be clutch cover and inside it is a torx screw that will need to be removed. I will have to pull diagrams ince I get to shop tomorrow or I can Opt Out and see if another expert can assist you before then if needed