JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

My 19k42 ride on mower has electricity but will not engage

Customer Question

my 19k42 ride on mower has electricity but will not engage the starter motor
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer.com. I will be happy to assist you today. Give me a few moments to look over your problem, and I will get right back to you so we can fix the issue and get your machine back to working order

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
lights and hours meter work and a click is heard when key is turned
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Sounds like the starter motor may be going out. Do you hear the click every time key is turned even if engine doesn't start

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not every time. just on the first attempt and not if we turn the key frequently. if we wait a while then it is heard after turn the key again
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
on the rare occasion it will turn over perfectly but unsure why this is
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Then I would replace the solenoid. If it is not clicking each time key is turned replace the solenoid. Try jumping the solenoid 3-5 times back to back and see if engine starts each time.

Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

HAve you tested the battery voltage when key is turned? How much does it drop from the no load voltage?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do i jump the solenoid and where is it located on the 19k42 model. haven;t tested the battery under load
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Follow the red wire from the battery. it will lead you to solenoid. use a screwdriver to touch the 2 poles together to start engine. make sure key is ON and brake is locked. I can find a video of solenoid jump if needed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the battery is under the seat and all wires are channeled in a wrap. have you a pic of the solenoid?
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Solenoid looks like this:::::

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do i connect the bolts or the other nodes?
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

no need to disconnect anything. just touch both poles together with screwdriver or pliers. engine should turn over and start

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you send along that vid?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the solonoid on my rig looks a lot different than that because there are not nuts there is just a white cable going into a connector that surrounds what looks like a magnet
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Do you see red power wires run to it? Can you upload a picture and I can label it for you. What engine is on your machine?