Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

Have a 2003 Damon Escaper with a 8kw diesel onan that shuts

Customer Question

Have a 2003 Damon Escaper with a 8kw diesel onan that shuts off after about a minute of running. House batteries also keep draining and they were all replaced about 4 months ago. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

What is the model number of the genset?

From the description you have given so far, it sounds like you may not have a genset issue, but rather a power converter issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found a little more after asking my question last night. I shut everything down to try to charge just the batteries (which are 4 months old but did sit with no power to the rv for a couple months). After about an hour I checked the batteries and one was boiling over and very hot. I disconnected all the batteries and took them to be load tested which showed 3 out of 4 to be around 8v, the boiling one however was the only good one in the bunch. Could the generator issue be due to the batteries not having charge?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Most Onan RV gensets do not have battery charging capabilities, and rely on the batteries to keep the fuel pump running. No battery, no fuel pump.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?