Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Hausfeld GN503120AC generator that just stopped

Customer Question

I have a Campbell Hausfeld GN503120AC generator that just stopped powering up. After inspection I have a feeling either the brush unit and or, AVR has malfunctioned. I purchased the unit in 1999 and it has served me well since. It's in excellent condition, still runs well and starts with one pull! I have tried to locate parts but cannot due to its discontinuance. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.

This unit does not have brushes, nor an AVR. This is a capacitor regulated system.

The most likely cause of your issue is a bad capacitor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your partially wrong! I dissembled the unit and did find a capacitor however there are (2)brushes attached by wire leads to it. The brushes are contained in a small Bakelite holder which has melted causing the one brush not to make contact thus disabling the unit. Problem....this unit it no longer being manufatured and NO ONE has parts! Thanks anyway!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.

You're right. I looked at the parts diagram a half dozen times, and did not see the brushes. But there is a footnote at the bottom of the page that says the brushes are not shown. My bad.

I did check with some contacts of mine, and I was unable to locate them at all.